Saturday, October 10, 2009

Wendy From Flying Fish Patterns



From Flying Fish Patterns we are pleased to introduce Wendy.

I live in Drummoyne, which is a lovely leafy suburb in Sydney on the harbour just 15mins from the city.I grew up in Wollongong but have lived is Sydney for 30 years now. I live in a very male household with a husband, 2 teenage boys and a much loved puppy dog.I have been sewing since I was a child, learning from my 2 older sisters and my very talented mum.After leaving school, I studied fashion and went on to work in the fashion industry and studied to become a teacher. I taught fashion fulltime for 13 years. With 2 small children, I wanted to spend more time with them and started working part time at home designing childrens (boys) clothing.

I have been quilting for about 17 years and designing quilts and bags for many years. Flying fish kits started about 3 years ago and I am loving the challenge of a craft business. I get to chat to so many lovely people, it is such a happy, friendly industry.

My main motivation for my business was to be able to spend every day working with my designs for bags and quilts, sounds like a great excuse for work. Unfortunately I find that I am getting less time to play but I do love what I do.

In the future I would like to do more teaching and currently teach at a local patchwork shop.I find inspriation for my designs everywhere. I walk my dog every day and really enjoy the time to think about new designs. I am always checking out everyones gardens and always amazed at the colours and the colour combinations found in nature. I am always motivated by colour first and then the design. As anyone who designs or makes quilts and craft, my mind is always at work and there simply isn't enough hours in the day.

Thanks Wendy, what a great job you have , so important to love what you do and your patterns reflect how happy you are. Click here to view all Wendy's gorgeous patterns

No comments:

Post a Comment