Saturday, October 10, 2009

Toni Coward from Make it Perfect

Toni says "Sewing and having a go at a variety of other crafts provides me with a sense of “me time.” I have always enjoyed making and creating things and always have one or two projects on the go at a time. Since becoming a Mother I have found that if I can set myself aside a little time every day to create then I feel satisfied that I have done something for myself during the day.There is something special about sewing from scratch and creating something new and unique using only the ideas I have floating around in my own head. Although I enjoy following other people’s sewing patterns and find it refreshing not to have to think so hard about what I am doing, the sense of satisfaction is greater when I have designed a pattern myself, especially if the project has been challenging or there have been problems along the way. As I work through those problems I learn so much and feel a greater sense of achievement when I reach the finished product.The best two things about designing and writing my own sewing patterns are:
Being able to create something exactly how I want it, and
I LOVE it when other people share their finished creations with me, It always excites me to see someone have success with one of my patterns and I love to see the different mix of fabrics that they have chosen. I especially love it when someone puts their special, creative touch into their finished project and alters or adds to the pattern to make it unique and suit their needs/tastes better.
I am a fabric addict and proud to admit it! I especially love collecting fabrics from designers such as Alexander Henry, Amy Butler, Heather Bailey, just to name a few. I find a great source of inspiration in sorting through my fabric stash and coming up with new ideas or themes to use for different patterns. I am so excited about the turn the quilting market has taken in the last year or so, encouraging more and more designers to produce fresh and funky fabrics which cry out to younger sewers. These modern fabrics also lend themselves perfectly to making clothing and other accessories.
To see the entire interview click here
Thanks Toni for letting us into your life and for designing such great modern patterns for today - to see Toni's amazing range , click here

No comments:

Post a Comment