Sunday, October 25, 2009

One Red Robin-Our latest Designer



We have just listed an amazing range of softies by Jhoanna Monte Aranez, here is a little bit about Jhoanna - Click Here to View the range





"I've always loved making things and using my hands to turn bits and pieces into something whole and new. However, I didn't start sewing until I had my first child, and found that I couldn't find something completely unique for her to play when visiting local stores. I was following craft blogs at the time and decided to sew a softie up (with very little knowledge of how to use a sewing machine!). I borrowed a machine, found a free softie pattern on the internet, and started on the project. The end result was a little wonky cat softie but my daughter loved it. The experience really struck a chord with me.






After a few more softie projects I gained enough confidence to start designing my own softies. With the encouragement of my husband, I also took the big step of selling what I made. It was a huge surprise when I got my first sale. It was the real confidence boost I needed to keep designing and making. Three years later and I am designing softie patterns for sale (through Pattern Press), books and magazines, and making softies for markets, exhibitions, gifts, etc and thoroughly enjoying it.






I have many inspirations but the ones that really come through what I make is Japanese/kawaii design, vintage children's illustrations (Mary Blair is a great inspiration), and my own two daughters. I am also inspired by a huge number of artists/crafters/designers, some of whom I have met in person and have found their attitude and lives inspiring, apart from what they create.

No comments:

Post a Comment